Sunday, March 20, 2011

Stand Straight, Ella Kate - a book review

March 20 - Today's post provided by GreenBeanTeenQueen

 
About the Book: Ella Kate was a real giant-at her tallest she stood at over 8 feet! This is her story.

 
GreenBeanTeenQueen Says: I had to read this book because Kate Klise is from my state-I gotta support my local authors!  What I found was a fantastic picture book biography that taught me about a woman I knew nothing about.   

 
Stand Straight, Ella Kate is a picture book biography of Ella Kate Ewing, the tallest lady on Earth. When Ella starts growing at an alarming rate at age seven, she's embarrassed, teased and becomes shy. But as she grows up, she realizes that her height can also lead to great adventures. She travels with the circus, appears in museums, and makes money for her family.

 
I loved the illustrations! The illustrations bring the story to life. I also love that there's a great discussion that can happen with this book about overcoming your fears and shyness, but it never feels like the book is really slapping you in the face with that message.

 
Young readers will enjoy Ella Kate’s story and I’m sure they’ll be fascinated by her life.  She was an amazing woman and I love learning all about her.  

 
A great early biography-highly recommended!

 
Editor's Note:
 

3 comments:

  1. This was one of my favorite picture books of last year. I think it would be a great choice for home or classroom discussion as well.

    ReplyDelete